Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 1997 21:45:22 +0100
From:      Jim Marker <jemstone@ifx.net>
To:        Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, dbaker@neosoft.com
Subject:   Re: Smart UPS -- any experts out there?

Conrad Sabatier wrote:

> I'm seriously considering buying a UPS, as the power in my area seems
> to be
> prone to occasional "blinks" of a second or two.  Someone mentioned
> getting
> a "smart" UPS that I could interface to FreeBSD to, for instance,
> perform
> an automatic clean shutdown on power failure.

<<SNIP SNIP>>

I have a triplitte internet 450 VA "dumb" UPS.  It works great for small
blips, and minor brownouts.  I'm not sure you would want a smart ups to
be shutting down your FreeBSD everytime you get a power blip if your
power quickly comes back.  Just pick what you really care about not
going out on a blip and leave everything else on non-UPS power.  I bet
my FreeBSD system would stay up for a long power outage with 450 VA.

Jim...