Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 1998 11:41:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        "Henry v. Doorn" <H.vanDoorn@UCI.KUN.NL>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing a second networkinterface

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01BE1BCD.CAFBD560

On Sun, 29 Nov 1998, Henry v. Doorn wrote:
> I just started USING Free-BSD. I want to use the machine as a NAT.
> Your FAQ's and Books give some hints and suggestions how to do this.
> But what I did not find is information about installing an extra network-
> interface for this.
> I have installed 2 identical network cards. On setup one is activated,
> how do I activate the second one. I thought because I use 2 identical
> cards activating the second one cannot be to difficult.

Edit /etc/rc.conf and add configuration details for the second
nic there.  Look for "network_interfaces", your first nic plus lo0
will be listed there, add the second nic (you can determine the
names by looking at the output of dmesg.  Since you are using
identical cards the name should be the same as the first with the
number increased by 1.  So if you currently have
network_interfaces="ed1 lo0" make it
network_interfaces="ed1 ed2 lo0"
Next find the ifconfig line corresponding to your first nic.
ifconfig_ed1="inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 0xffffff00"
and add another line for your second nic
ifconfig_ed2="inet 172.16.1.1 netmask 0xffffff00"

While you're in there set firewall_enable to YES and
firewall_type to OPEN, you already build a new kernel
with IPFIREWALL and IPDIVERT right?

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 Dana Point Communications, Inc.                            dan@dpcsys.com

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01BE1BCD.CAFBD560--