Date:      Tue, 28 May 1996 17:35:53 EST
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Forgiving select() call.

> > > 1)	Build a static SunOS 4.1.3 binary that calls select(2).
> >

> > Been there, done that. See my previous reply. Trussing on Solaris 2.4
> > shows it calling poll.
>
> For a STATIC build?

Yes, a STATIC build.

> I have a hard time believing this, since SunOS 4.x doesn't *have* a
> poll for static 4.x libc stubs linked into the program to call.

I dunno what you're looking at. SunOS 4.1.3 has poll in libc.a and a
trivial program, statically linked on SunOS works fine on both SunOS
and Solaris, and trussing it on Solaris shows it calling poll. Ditto
for a program calling select.

> > > 2)	Run it on Solaris 2.2 (watch it ENOSYS).
> > > 3)	Run it on Solaris 2.3 (watch it work).
> >
> > What does trussing it on 2.3 show it doing?
>
> Probably calling whatever call the execution class defines for 93 on
> the box.  It's entirely possible that it doesn't use the Solaris
> sysent[] vector when trapping from a 4.1.3 executable.  FreeBSD
> certainly doesn't trap to the same sysent[] vector for Linux or
> IBCS2 or BSDI binaries.

C'mon. I don't want to know what it's probably doing. What does trussing
it on 2.3 show it doing? I've got static SunOS binaries that use select()
and syscall(SYS_select, ...) and truss shows them calling poll.

> > poll. See my previous reply on this topic.
> >
> > >Personally, except for threading, I develop for Solaris using SunOS.
> >
> > You obviously have your reasons for doing that. For my money I develop
> > for Solaris on Solaris.
>
> Yes.  One of the resons is it makes select() work on Solaris.

Yeah, I believe that code that calls select() works. You haven't explained
how though. And I think I have more than enough evidence to satisfy
myself what it's doing.

--

Kaleb KEITHLEY