Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 2002 18:10:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@trit.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/35686: blackhole(4) page seems to contradict itself in WARNING

The following reply was made to PR docs/35686; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dima Dorfman <dima@trit.org>
To: swear@blarg.net
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 02:01:46 +0000

 "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net> wrote:

 > >Number:         35686
 > >Category:       docs
 > >Synopsis:       blackhole(4) page seems to contradict itself in WARNING
 >
 > The "warnings" section of the blackhole(4) man page has these two
 > statements:
 >
 >     In order to create a highly secure system, ipfw(8) should be used
 >     for protection, not the blackhole feature.
 >
 >     This mechanism is not a substitute for securing a system.  It should
 >     be used together with other security mechanisms.

 To me, this sounds more redundant than contradicting (they both say
 that blackhole isn't sufficient for a "secure system"), but I can
 understand how someone might interpret it that way.  Do you have any
 suggestions for a better wording?  Perhaps just removing the first
 paragraph would suffice--that seems more like a plug for ipfw(8) than
 a bug in blackhole(4), anyway.