Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 23:22:35 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Jerry Preeper <preeper@cts.com>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swap_pager: out of swap space (-->crash) - procmail is problem

In the last episode (May 28), Jerry Preeper said:
> Has anyone else ran into a problem with procmail crashing the system on
> large emails being sent to it?  Here is the top of the ps aux output
> when I was finally able to catch this.

Sendmail can be told to block emails over a certain size; you can
either set a global maximum with confMAX_MESSAGE_SIZE, or set a
per-mailer maximum.  Luckily, if you tell sendmail to use procmail as
the local delivery agent, procmail becomes a mailer and the limit can
be set with the PROCMAIL_MAILER_MAX definition. See
/usr/src/contrib/sendmail/cf/README for the details.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com