Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 20:39:21 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@sns.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Yet another booting problem

I did something rather stupid recently, and now FreeBSD won't boot up
normally anymore. What did I do? MAKEDEV all. I thought it was going to
create all devices referenced in my kernel config, but apparently, it didn't.

So now when I boot up, it defaults to booting from wd(0,a)/kernel, then
proceeds after checking my hardware proceeds to tell me that it can't find
any of my other slices.

Startup messages:
swapon /dev/wd0s4b : No such file or directory
/dev/wd0s4f : No such file or directory
can't stat /dev/wd0s4f

Then it says it can't find the shell, and asks if it should load sh. I do
that, and take a look around. My /usr, /proc, and /var slices aren't
loaded. My fstab file (minus the last few columns) is:
#Device		Mountpoint	FStype
/dev/wd0s4b		none		swap
/dev/wd0a		/		ufs
/dev/wd0s4f		/usr		ufs
/dev/wd0s4e		/var		ufs
proc			/proc		procfs
/dev/wcd0c		/cdrom		cd9660

Shouldn't /dev/wd0a be /dev/wd0s4a?

I went into /dev and looked in there. The wd0 devices are: wd0, wd0a
through wd0h, and wd0s1 through wd0s4. My wd0s4a-s4h devices are gone! But
I can't recreate them. If I do MAKEDEV wd0s4a, I get
wd0s4: read-only filesystem
rwd0s4: read-only filesystem
mknod: wd0s4: File exists
mknod: rwd0s4: File exists
mknod: wd0s4a: Read-only filesystem
mknod: rwd0s4a: Read-only filesystem
...and so on...
mknod: wd0s4h: Read-only filesystem
mknod: rwd0s4h: Read-only filesystem

My hard drive is set up as follows:
Western Digital Caviar 2.5GB EIDE, split into 4 partitions
1 Pri-DOS	 402Mb
2 Ext-DOS	1201Mb
  Logical D:	 406Mb
  Logical E:	 303Mb
  Logical F:	 404Mb
  Logical G:	  87Mb
3 NTFS		 370Mb
4 Non-DOS	 469Mb

The FreeBSD partition was split up according to the default novice
installation values.

Any way to fix this? Or do I have to re-install FreeBSD (for the 3rd time)?

One note: I can't use the Fixit floppy unless someone makes a 5 1/4" disk
image, because my 5 1/4" drive is drive A: (floppy cable is too short), and
I installed FreeBSD by using System Commander's
boot-from-floppy-in-drive-b: option. My bios can't swap drive letters, so
when the install floppy looks for the fixit floppy, it looks in my 5 1/4"
drive.

Thanks in advance,
--Ludwig Pummer

ludwigp@sns.com     ICQ UIN: 692441    http://chipweb.home.ml.org
             http://www.sns.com/~ludwigp  <--^-- Updated 11/22/96
PGP Key & Geek Code available on web page