Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 07:56:20 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pwd.db?

ok then, but would not it be more secure if you have maden the
password files be able to read only by wheel group?
for example I would not want somebody to get my passwd file and
put it to web to show all usernames on my system and the real names
corresponding to those login names (also I guess nobody would like
that idea) or somebody may send email to all my users from that passwd
file, is not it? (I do not think that somebody would like this idea
too!), but those files are readable by public which means that anyone
who as account on my system can access to them, why is that ?
thanks,
Evren

PS. I hope I am not asking a stupid question ?