Date:      Thu, 7 May 1998 02:52:42 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs woes

On Wed, May 06, 1998 at 07:29:49PM -0500, David Kelly wrote:
> Eivind Eklund writes:
> > The above is a result of CVS being 'somewhat less than graceful' about
> > not having enough memory.  When adding directories, it should really
> > update CVS/Entries in a two-phase commit before actually extracting
> > the directory.  This would let it fail gracefully (ie, a new 'cvs
> > update' would bring it to the correct state).
>
> How much memory does it take? I only have 64M and another 128M of swap.

That should be enough physical memory - the question is how your
limits are set (ie, login.conf and ulimit are your friend.)

> > Now, since it doesn't, you're more or less screwed.  What you can do:
> >
> > Blow the unknown directories away and do a 'cvs update' (simplest).
> > This should get you up to date correctly, unless you've got patches in
> > the unknown directories.
>
> That's the strangest thing. "cvs update" was not restoring the deleted
> directories.

That's because they're missing from the metadata for CVS in their
parent directory, thus CVS think they're directories you have created
that just happen to be in the way of ones it would like to create.

> As I mentioned earlier, not sure how it happened other than I've had
> several system freezes when "cvs -q update" was running, Netscape 3.01
> was open, and pppd had a connection. Four or five times, those three
> things were required to freeze.

Strange.  Sound like a problem with the kernel ppp driver that is
triggered by /usr/sbin/pppd running out of memory.

> So I'm tempting fate again. Haven't had a freeze since replacing a very
> old /etc/login.conf. Netscape, pppd, and cvs are running at this very
> moment. The freeze never occurs until cvs is very near the end of its
> tasks.

I believe cvs accumulate memory all through its task (ie, it doesn't
free as much as it should), but I might be wrong.

Eivind.