Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 12:17:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Atle Veka <atlev@mail.flyingcroc.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   problems with Apache

Hi,

We have a large network (300+) of FreeBSD machines. Most of these are
currently running FreeBSD 3.2. We have been trying out FreeBSD 4.1 on a
handful of machines and have been experiencing problems.

The machines we tested 4.1 on are really plain installs, and do nothing
but serve images. Only software on there is Apache 1.3.14 (problem appears
with 1.3.12 as well).

What happens is that Apache gets stuck on a read (apaches server-status
show all R's and a few W's), and spews out the following message (several
per seconds):

[Mon Nov 27 11:44:22 2000] [error] (54)Connection reset by peer:
getsockname

dmesg also has the following messages (tons):
arplookup xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx failed: could not allocate llinfo

Here's our system info
uname -a
FreeBSD cgfx2 4.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE #0: Mon Nov 13
10:36:38 PST 2000
root@cgfx2:/usr/src/sys/compile/ST-CGFX i386

Seems that this is a FreeBSD related problem since switching to a new
apache version didn't help any, and the fact that we have dozens of 3.2
boxes running the same setup but without problems.

The problem appears sporadic at times as to what machine it affects, but
once it's happened once it keeps on coming back. The only quick fix for
now is to do an 'apachectl restart'

I have seen other posts about this, and I know that other people are
experiencing the same problem. I would appreciate any input on this.

Thanks!

Atle Veka
Systems Administrator
Flying Crocodile Inc.