Date:      Tue, 04 Apr 2000 17:01:37 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        blk@skynet.be (Brad Knowles), Doug@gorean.org, drjolt@redbrick.dcu.ie, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world failed

> I'd actually suggest that you (plural you, not Brad you) turn this
> around.

All very well said.  Volunteers have to also remember that we have no
way of gauging their skill-set from here and even when we do, it's
hard to say just how much of that skill-set will be brought to bear on
project-related activities.  Most really skillful people have too
little time available to do anything really in-depth unless they
go on sabbatical or somehow wangle a job working for BSDI (we're
taking applications! :) so skills are hardly the only useful metric.

That's why it's best to approach it sort of organically.  The
volunteer looks around for something which matches both their
skill-set and their time available, throws out a brief discussion to
make sure they're not about to reinvent any wheels, then goes for it.
That's pretty much how 90% of the current -committers got where they
are, in fact.  A substantial number of the remaining 10% got there
because they were forcibly shoved into committership, but only because
they were sneakily making their significant contributions through
someone else until we caught them at it. :-)

- Jordan