Date:      Thu,  4 Jan 1996 22:09:49 +0300
From:      Andrew Timonin <tim@Relcom.EU.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>, Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: What choice of 100 mbps Ethernet boards?

In message <Pine.BSF.3.91.960104130000.212j-100000@cabal.io.org> Brian
    Tao writes:

>On Thu, 4 Jan 1996, Greg Lehey wrote:
>>
>> I'm still working on the Installation book (anybody who's interested,
>> *please* review!), and it occurred to me that there's little direction
>> in choosing 100 mbps network boards.  Can anybody suggest something
>> that works well?
>
>    I just picked up five SMC 9332 PCI controllers (built around the
>DEC21140) in December and they worked right out of the box with our
>ASUS P55TP4XEG motherboards.  Plugged one of them into a spare 100Mbps
>port on our etherswitch and was able to do the OS installation without
>a hiccup.  I've had a tiny bit of trouble with the cards when plugged
>into a 10-Mbps switch, but I'll post about that separately.

As far as I know today there are two different 100 mbps Ethernet
technologies, wich differ.
The one is ised on HP Ethernet HUBs and the other on DEC, and
the worst news for me was that they are incompatible :-(

May somebody advise me which 100 mbps boards (FreeBSD compatible)
I can use with HP 100mbps HUB ?

Or maybe I'm wrong and I may use for ex. SMC 100mbps board will work
with HP HUB ?

--
 Andrew A. Timonin	E-mail tim@sssun.spb.su,
   St.Petersburg	phone:	office:  +7 (812) 1106762