Date:      Fri, 02 Oct 1998 08:55:52 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Exabyte 8200

Duncan Barclay writes:
> The model I have has an LCD panel over the drive door. When the drive powers
> up
> it asks me to select a compression mode, there is a small round button on the
> LCD which toggles a little "C" on the LCD, next to a "2". There is also an
> extra card plugged into the SCSI connector which I think controls the LCD.
>
> This model doesn'y seem to be a standard Exabyte model and markings on the
> chassis don't tell me much.

Big LCD display, full width of the 5-1/4" drive, at least 2 lines high?
Believe that is a Cybernetic Microsystems (?) model. Compression and
the LCD display are handled by a custom CPU between the external SCSI
bus and the internal exabyte SCSI.

The company I'm thinking of advertises heavily in NASA Tech Briefs and
other odd places. Think they have a web site too but I'm offline right
now and can't go find it.

As I recal, the only real problem with a Cybernetic tape drive is the
compression is vendor unique.