Date:      Tue, 07 Mar 2000 11:41:33 -0500
From:      Kevin Havener <kevin.havener@afccc.af.mil>
To:        Mark J Tomko <mtomko@prime.cs.ohiou.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: two hard drives, adding OS's

I just put mine on the primary slave (I think, I have faulty memory,
though).  Yes, I believe thats it, on OS or another sees it as hdc.  I
have both a Linux and a FreeBSD installation on it.  They both boot just
fine.

I think my rationale was that (or so I heard) read/write from channel to
channel are faster than master to slave on the same IDE channel.
Reasoning that since I do most all of my OS installs from CDROM I wanted
to be able to do it slightly faster.  So until I get another hard drive,
my CDROM is alone on the secondary IDE channel.  This could all be just
hogwash, though.

YMMV
Kevin