Date:      Mon, 07 Sep 1998 22:51:47 -0400
From:      Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sharing Netscape Communicator 4.05 mail files?

Ryan Thompson wrote:

> Hiya hiya... More "intelligent" questions from yours truly :)
>
> Just a query... Has anyone SUCCESSFULLY shared the SAME netscape mail
> folder between both Win95 Netscape 4.05 and FreeBSD-* Netscape 4.05?
> I want to access the SAME Inbox, Sent messages, etc folders on an MSDOS
> FAT partition (note mounting is NOT the problem here.. both OSes can see
> the Win95 Netscape mailbox just fine :)  I want to (ideally) be able to
> access my mail account from EITHER OS, and have the same downloaded
> messages visible and accessible from either OS.
>
> >From what I can tell, each flavor of Netscape stores the folders only
> slightly differently... Win95 appears to add an assortment of header
> files, indexes and what not, while BSD Netscape seems only to need the
> INBOX. or equivalent file to generate it's OWN header/summary files.
>
> I found this out on an earlier install when I COPIED the contents of one
> of my Win95 mailboxes (\Program Files\Netscape\Users\name\....blah...
> wherever it stores those profiles.. I forget now :) to the FreeBSD
> Netscape's mail directory (in my case, as root, /root/.nsmail I
> believe.
> Again, the default...)  And I was ABLE to see all of my existing
> mail FROM the Win95 install of Netscape.  (Now we know the two are
> at least compatible in ONE direction :)
>
> However, when I tried (in the FreeBSD Netscape preferences menu) to
> change the mail path of the current user to the mounted DOS path
> (in my case, /dos_mount/program files/netscape/users/myname/mail/)
> FreeBSD Netscape would NOT recognize the existing INBOX or any other
> mail folder residing in the MSDOS directory).  Note, I have full
> R/W privileges to /dos_mount.
>
> Any thoughts?  Success stories?  Horror stories? :)
>
>    .-----------============-----------.
>    : Ryan Thompson -*- ryant@home.com :
>   .--------------------------------------------.
>   :   # config world                           :
>   :   # make world                             :
>   :      - Can your OS do THAT?!   - Ryan T.   :
Well, I have backed up some of the files in the win95 version of
netscape mail and it worked on the freebsd box. Now, maybe I should try
to share them like you want. How about -linking- files who can be shared
without problems in /dos/blahblah/ to nsmail (netscape continue to check
in $HOME/nsmail). I will try it.
--
[Malartre][malartre@aei.ca][http://www.aei.ca/~malartre/]