Date:      Thu, 3 May 2001 04:25:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        mistwolf@mushhaven.net (Jamie Norwood)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Arplookup

Run a tcpdump on your fxp0 interface, looking for any and
all packets from 209.16.96.1:
tcpdump -n -i fxp0 host 209.16.96.1

You'll probably see a bunch of link level broadcast packets,
probably even arp whohas or arp iam.  Capture this and send
it to your co-location ISP and ask them why your seeing traffic
from this box on your port, you should not be, they have a
missconfigured switch or router more than likely.  Or they
are trying to run multiple subnets on one physical network
segment.

You could also do a funky route command:
route add 209.16.96.1 -interface fxp0
then see if you get an arp entry and the messages go away.
If that works your ISP is sharing physical network segments,
which in todays world is a really bad idea.

Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net