Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 23:24:59 +0800
From:      Doug Lo <jwlo@ms11.hinet.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FS advocacy.

Hi, FreeBSDers,

The following letter is my teacher sent me the mail that he has a plan
about using Free OS' replaced M$ in Taiwan.
Would anyone give us some comments or suggestions, thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Doug Lo.

--------- forward message ------------------------------

Now let's talk about promoting free software in general. Let me put
my conclusions upfront: writing articles to educate people seems more
desperately needed than writing programs to do this and that.

Point one: FS don't have to replace M$ entirely in one shot.
FS are already used in many corporates. Many of the links which I
showed you and many included in my web pages give examples of
successful Linux application in business env. I bet you can also find
a lot of places using FreeBSD in more demanding situations. However,
I strongly suspect that even in these corporates, there are at least
a few M$ windows running Word or PowerPoint, just for the sake of
communicating with the rest of the world. It is relatively easy to
persuade technical people to use FS in server type situations. On
the other hand, it is painfully agonizing even trying to explain to
the general public that they should choose rtf or html instead of
using Word's proprietary file format when saving files, let alone
asking them to learn a new word processor. If we can forego the
subgoals of converting people from using some of the M$ applications,
the task would be much easier. That is, it will be much cost-effective
(in terms of our effort) and nonetheless a triumph if we concentrate
on converting large corporates to use FS for the most part, leaving
Wintels to the end users only for word processing, etc.

Point two: Most of  consumers are blindly lead by the biased
propaganda; we need to provide them with other sources of information.
IMO, the lack of Chinese word processor is much less a problem than
the lack of world-wide FS information translated into Chinese. A few
years ago, FS was not popularly recognized even in USA -- few corporate
people knew their existence, and those who did thought it was only
for hackers. The situation has changed lately, and facts about FS have
spread into corporate users in many countries. However, (in consistence
with what you pointed out regarding how to find Visual Tcl/Tk), we
don't have that information floating around in Taiwan. The majority
are locked inside the Chinese Web communities, which provide some
technical info about FS but hardly any _arguments_ why FS are better.
On the other hand, the main stream media, computer mags, and even
government organizations like Έκ΅¦·| or several conference organizers
promote the use of proprietary technologies through ads, hypes, required

submission file formats, computer education opportunities,... etc. The
public fall prey to the mis-information of the propaganda, and, to
the agony of the informed, mistook popularity for open standards.

In recognition of these two observations, I propose a few ways in
which to direct our efforts more fruitfully. Simply put, let's provide
objective information to the real technical people and to the completely

uninformed, and let's  use the propaganda to revoke the mis-information
previously planted in the know-half population's brains.

1. For those of us already working in the Information Technology
   departments in large corporates, we can convince technical
   and English-literate people to compare FS with proprietary software
   objectively by referring them to foreign web sites which provide
   info rectifying the mis-information in Taiwan. I would particularly
   recommend:
        http://slashdot.org/
        http://www.eklektix.com/lwn/
        http://www.opensource.org/
        http://www.fsf.org/
        http://www.essential.org/antitrust/microsoft/
        http://www0.vcnet.com/bms/
   Feel free to add your list of sites promoting FreeBSD or whichever
   FS, but let's keep it from growing indefinitely by insisting that
   the listed sites should  provide news, perspectives, success stories,

   political issues rather than technical how-to's. Once the techies
   are willing to give up the prejudice and willing to give it a try,
   it's a relatively easy task to provide them with further information.

2. For the more adventurous of us, we should really go ahead and start
   a business using FS. This serves more than individual economical
   interest. It serves to demonstrate the true advantages of FS by
   success stories. Let me  with a few ideas:
   a. Internet Cafe: With the release of Netscape Communicator as almost

      FS, it's even easier now to set up an Internet Cafe completely
      based on FS. If you can persuade customers to run many lynx
      processes along with one Communicator process, the readers'
      throughput gain would be one selling point not found in current
      Internet Cafe's.
   b. Using and distributing math-learning tools in cram school: RLaB is

      a nice tool for learning linear algebra; GNUplot nice for learning

      calculus; recently there was also an announcement of a FS almost
      compatible with SAS or SPSS. Most of these are cross-platform, and

      therefore cram school can use free OS's at work to reduce hardware

      expenditure (e.g. out-dated 486s) while encouraging students to
      install their own Windows versions. Used as learning tools, they
      serve their own purposes and will cause little complaint about the

      mis-issue of popularity.
   c. Community Internet service/teaching center: a good population
      which are not yet on-line probably won't care how
      to use word processors and other hype apps. They will probably
      be willing to try when told that the 386 their grandchildren
      deserted in the corner can be turned into an internet machine
      with little cost. If we target our objectives clearly as providing

      Internet services alone, the customers might be attracted simply
      because they can get on-line accounts, education, installation and

      maintenance services from the same neighbor's home located at only

      at a few buildings away. We may then give their grandchildren cool

      games like Doom and LinCity as a bonus :-) Seriously, this kind
      of business has the prospect of growing into a tech support
company
      but can live on before that kind of market matures.
3. For the more altruistic of us, we can share the benefits of FS with
   the less fortunate people in the charities such as orphanage.
   Sometimes I found the null price becomes a hindrance rather than a
help
   in selling FS to the corporate. (More on this later.) The charities,
on
   the other hand, will perhaps appreciate better the null pirce and the

   low demand on hardware. The less fortunate will probably also be more

   open to alternatives which the general public refuse to try out of
   sheer habit. If we explain objectively the pros of FS's long term
   return (opportunities to learn the concepts and skills) vs the cons
   (needing to learn a bit more GUI stuffs not found in FS but
immediately
   needed in the job market), we might get some determined souls to
   start an otherwise impossible journey. To begin with, they had
nothing
   to lose. We may also point out to them the small business
possibilities
   in (2) as another incentive.
4. For the more out-spoken of us, we should definitely write/translate
   a lot of articles arguing why FS are better and submit them to the
   press, put them on the web, and pass them around in as many ways and
   forms as possible. I would emphatically like to single out one most
   important technical issue: to educate people on the difference
between
   popularity and open standards, and advocate the use of standard file
   formats and interface protocols as corporate standard. This would be
   a first step away from the M$ grip and a step towards objective
   comparison among alternative programs (and hence towards better
   acceptance of FS due to their technical excellence). In terms of the
   presentation style, my (not-yet-rich) experience suggests that the
   contents have to be tailored towards specific audience in order to
   gain better acceptance. We know that FS are surely better for
   individuals and for the society as a whole from many perspectives.
   However, sometimes it pays not to emphasize certain advantages of FS
   when advocating it to certain audience. A case in point is the
   corporate IT managers. Telling them that FS does not cost money seems

   only to make them look down upon FS as having no technical support.
   I would advocate instead, that use of FS give them more choices to
   spend their money on competing sources of technical support since
   the source codes are available.

Sincerely yours,
C.K.Hung