Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 10:55:12 -0500
From:      Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Ted Faber <faber@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, se@mi.uni-koeln.de
Subject:   Re: PCI Card Failures in 3.1 - FYI

Also, we dont call pci_map_port(), so I doubt that is the
problem. The mapping seems to work (when we map the
registers into memory we can read them and they have
the correct default values). the problem is that is cant
seem to dma to memory...its impossible to tell if it
can read however.

dennis

At 06:01 PM 2/25/99 -0800, you wrote:

>Dennis wrote:
>>
>>Can anyone point me at info on what changed, specifically for pci devices,
>>in 3.0 vs 2.2? A bullet list would help greatly. VM mapping?
>
>I'm having a similar problem (a PCI ethernet device that worked under
>2.2.7 won't work under 3.0) and I think it might be due to the changes
>in pci_map_port().  Under 2.2.7 there's some code in pci_map_port()
>that apparently enables intermediate bridges, but I don't see the same
>functionality in the pci_map_port in the PCI compatibility code.  I've
>sent some mail to Stefan about this, but he's apparently swamped.  If
>anyone else can take a look at the PCI code and confirm my diagnosis
>and provide me a workaround or a patch, I'd really appreciate it.  It
>may also be causing you a problem, too.
>
>I'd patch it myself, but without a PCI spec, that code looks pretty
>daunting...

We had problems in 2.2 with PCI shared memory not working properly,
but this is a much bigger problem. One or our PCI cards works, and the
other doesnt for no apparent reason. The one that doesnt work is a
bus master, and it cant seem to write to system memory. All of the
registers read the correct values, so its either that the physical addresses
arent right or the card cant access the memory.

What card are you haveing problems with, and what are the symptoms?
Does it detect the card?

Dennis