Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 10:23:37 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: in-kernel HTTP Server for FreeBSD?

Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Terry writes:
> > This is your unbacked opinion, and it runs
> > contrary to market opinion.
>
> Most of the market is running Apache or IIS, as far as I know, so it would
> seem that market opinion favors HTTP servers running as user processes, not
> as part of the kernel.

"When all you have is a hammer..."

> > Effeciency is not measured soley in number of
> > keystrokes -- though being efficient will not
> > necessarily mean that the number of keystrokes
> > increase.
>
> Be that as it may, simple text interfaces are often more efficient than
> graphic user interfaces, for applications that do not have specific graphic
> requirements.

Perhaps for you.  You are not a typical user, particularly
if this is the case.

> One reason why I prefer Apache to IIS is that I can configure
> everything in a text file on Apache.

Regedit can run from the command line and take a file
name as an argument.

> > It is not some cosmic coincidence that employers
> > ask for experience with Microsoft products.
>
> They don't ask for that if they are running UNIX.

This is circular reasoning.

> > I really think that what you need is to visit
> > the usability lab of a large company to see
> > HCI testing over a period of several iterations,
> > so you can understand.
>
> Reading about it or doing it isn't good enough?

Reading about it is not good enough.  Doing it is good
enough; watching professionals with many years of
experience doing it is better.

> > That's your taste, which is atypical, given
> > that you are an atypical user.
>
> What makes me atypical?

Your preference for comand line and file interfaces with high
learning curves.

> > Your response here is a bit unsupportable,
> > since it was your implication of "must".
>
> Some products _must_ be managed that way.  IIS requires either a Web-based
> interface or a GUI interface.  I'm not aware of any text interface to the
> product.

Regedit.  But you've already backed off from the web based
interface being a requirement, by ceding that is also a
native GUI interface.

> > More code does not necessarily equal instant
> > instability, particularly in the BSD camps.
>
> All else being equal, more code equals more instability.

All else, including stability?  This is the Daniel J.
Bernstein school of "it's too complicated for me, so
it must be too complicated for you".

> > For example?
>
> An OS written for his purposes.
>
> > What are the top two dedicated web servers
> > running on something other than a general-purpose
> > OS which you would suggest using, in this
> > circumstance?
>
> I'm not familiar with any.  What are they?

I personally don't think they exist.  I'm questioning
your implied premise here.  I guess by asking this, you
are also questioning your implied premise.

> > The "danger" is, once again, only in your
> > opinion.
>
> You seem to wish to imply that my statements are opinions, whereas yours are
> not.  But we are both stating opinions, and neither of us substantiates them
> any better than the other.  There is no point in telling me that I am
> expressing opinions, as I already know this.  And there is nothing to be
> gained by refraining from making the same acknowledgement with respect to
> your own statements, because I already know that you are expressing
> opinions, too.  So what is your real purpose?

I substantiate my statements with references to Computer
Science literature.  You aren't substantiating your at all.

If you want to pick out what you think is an unsubstantiated
opinion in one of my postings, where I haven't explicitly
stated it (I generally state it, as you pointed out), I can
back it up with a cite from the literature for you.

I've already pointed to a book with papers which disagree
with you on user interface technolopgy.

-- Terry