Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 09:03:51 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Gary Jennejohn <garyj@muc.de>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/editors/xemacs21 Makefile ports/editors/xemacs21/pkg PLIST

There's lots of quoting in here, because this thread did not originate
in the freebsd-ports mailing list.

Gary Jennejohn made these comments in a commit on editors/xemacs21:

>     - fixed the plist so that you don't get an error message when
>       using pkg_delete

I raised the following concern:

>Error message?  Isn't it a warning?  I like warnings because I can use
>them.  Your change suppresses a warning, essentially throwing
>information away which I may have used.
>
>In particular, I may want to go and look at the directory that couldn't
>be deleted and see _why_. :-)
>
>Please revert this part of your change:
>
>-@dirrm lib/xemacs
>+@unexec rmdir %D/lib/xemacs 2>/dev/null || true

Gary replied as follows:

> My original thinking was the same as yours and intended to _not_ include
> this change, but then I noticed that other committers were doing similar
> commits, so I stuck it in. And the maintainer agreed to it. Talk to him :)

I'm raising this here because I'd like to know whether this sort of
thing (silencing package-related warnings for the sake of aesthetics)
has become standard practice, or whether it's a habit a few people have
gotten into that should be broken. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.