Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 2006 14:46:36 -0400
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Michel Talon <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Yet another INDEX builder.

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM

On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 03:49:51PM +0200, Michel Talon wrote:
> Kris Kennaway  said:
>=20
> > FYI, I'm not sure if the python version is parallelizable, but you do
> > get a small benefit from using parallelized 'make index' builds (via
> > INDEX_JOBS) on a typical SMP machine.
>=20
> My script runs parallel makes, of the order of ten simultaneous makes.

OK, FYI I see a performance drop if you use too much parallelism (10
is "far too much" on a typical system; ~3 is probably optimal for a
HTT machine).

> You can see them, running top at the same time, but of course they are ve=
ry
> transient, since usually one make lasts of the order of 0.1 s on my machi=
ne.
> Anyways, still on my machine i have gained of the order of 20% wall clock=
 time
> by doing that. And it is only an hyperthreaded P4 (running in SMP mode). =
This
> is why i was curious to know the effect of this idea on a machine with re=
al
> SMP and perhaps disks supporting tagged queuing, which should allow better
> throughput for these simultaneous makes. I had, perhaps naively, assumed =
that
> with a good machine one can divide time by 2.

The only situation where you might reasonably expect to see something
approaching a factor of 2 speed improvement is if your ports tree is
on a striped or mirrored device on separate controllers, so 2 reads
can be completely decoupled from each other in hardware.  I've not
tried this though.

Kris

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM--