Date:      Thu, 5 Sep 2002 11:00:17 -0400
From:      Jonathan Towne <jontow@twcny.rr.com>
To:        Philip Paeps <philip@paeps.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What mail client for a computer newbie?

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 05:12:47PM +0200, Philip Paeps scribbled:
# On 2002-08-20 04:42:43, Dan Langille <dan@langille.org> wrote:
# > What mail client would you recommend for my mother?
#
# My mother's been using Evolution for a while, and I haven't heard any
# complaints, and she appears to be communicating happily with the rest of the
# world.

Same deal here, my mother has been using Evolution for probably a little
under a year with no complaints; I think its even a slightly older version..

# > To be fair, she's been using pine under FreeBSD for about a year now.  Now
# > that she's about to get a new computer, it's time to upgrade to a GUI (we're
# > going with KDE).

Indeed, if she's taken to the console, don't lead her astray.. its a bit
more to-the-point than a lot of graphical muck..

# > She has the concepts of email now.  But I want a simple interface.  Try to
# > think of this from a computer newbie point of view, not an X or FreeBSD
# > point of view.
#
# I fear that KDE might be a bit too complex.  All these funny bells and
# whistles all over the shop.  Might it not be better to install a 'light'
# window manager instead?  I doubt she'll be needing all the 'advanced' features
# of KDE.  Just a way to start the mailclient, the wordprocessor, the
# spreadsheet, etc.

KDE is a monster.

I've had it running on her machine (a celeron 300 with 96meg of RAM), along
with various forms of GNOME; all were 'pretty' .. but big, fat, and tended
to cause a lot of disk thrashing.  Now, she's using a nicely customized
copy of fvwm2, with a bunch of nice keybindings (alt+F# etc) to switch
between workspaces, a pager at the bottom so she can see whats going on, and
an auto-hidden taskbar to keep things remnant of earlier days :)

Hope you and your mother get things setup the way you hope for, its an
interesting adventure.. and requires a lot less hardware than win* ;)

-Jonathan Towne

PS. anyone who wants the $HOME/.fvwm/ directory that I use on many machines;
    (including the .fvwm2rc and menu template), just send me a quick note
    and I'll see what I can do.. lots of email to catch up on though, so
    it could take a day or two.