Date:      Sun, 13 Jan 2008 16:27:16 GMT
From:      Bernd Heller <bdheller@users.sourceforge.net>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/119635: Bad UDP packet checksum with em(4) and rxcsum/txcsum enabled

>Number:         119635
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       Bad UDP packet checksum with em(4) and rxcsum/txcsum enabled
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I have an Intel Pro/1000 PT Desktop Adapter network card in that machine, and by default the em(4) driver has rxcsum/txcsum enabled.

But the checksums for some UDP packets generated this way are wrong. I noticed this when trying to run avahi-daemon. It sends UDP multicast packets, but they were never recognized on the network. Only when using tcpdump did I notice the bad checksums. After I disabled rxcsum/txcsum on the interface all was working perfectly.

I could reproduce the same issue in a VMware machine using FreeBSD 7.0-RC1 i386 and amd64. 6.2 seems to be unaffected.
>How-To-Repeat:
Run avahi-daemon to publish any services (it will do so by default) and analyze the UDP packages sent out.
>Fix:
Workaround: disable rxcsum/txcsum on the interface.