Date:      Mon, 20 Feb 95 15:48:18 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
Cc:        jg@euronet.nl, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Domain name

> > The auto-expansion is a result of the cannonical name being looked up
> > by the program -- basically, it's a feature of your browser.
>
> Wrong.  It's a feature of the Domain Name System, and has nothing to
> do with the client program (if any).

The browser where he is seeing this is NetScape.

It's the browser's choice as to whether it actually replaces the
contents of the "Location" line indicating the URL with the cannonized
name or not.

A good example of this interaction is shown using the URL:

	http://www.wahoo.com

It's a good example because Matt fudged the DNS record for wahoo.com
to forcibly add the trailing slash post-lookup.

Basically, any time you have an alias record for a machine not in
your domain as if it were a machine in your domain without a
corresponding cname record, you'll end up with a name change in
the URL display unless you started out with a trailing slash, which
inhibits (probably as a side effect) NetScape from updating the
name.

I think the original guy was looking at the little 'Location:'
windows contents changing (the question felt like it was coming
a bit out of left field).

I don't think the original poster was looking at a non-client view
in the first place.  Whether something is an A or a CNAME or whatever
is probably not going to be visible to him anyway because of this.

The mail question sounded like what he wanted was for sendmail to say
mail was coming from some place it wasn't.  I frequently use this for
machines with smtp shut down by the router so that I can send mail from
my machine and the replies go to the exterior firewall instead.

The point I was trying to make is that while it isn't a black art,
there is a great deal of collateral knowledge required and what he was
asking were questions that not only weren't related, but for which
there were not "type this" answers available.

About the best you can do in those situations without the explanations
causing more questions is point at the books (which is what I did).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.