Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 1996 15:41:22 +0100 (MET)
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMC Etherpower 10/100 no longer works

Hi!

Today we received two new servers for our intranet. We had absolutely no
problems with the SMC Etherpower 10/100 in our older servers (running
2.1.0 Release and now 2.1.5 stable), so we ordered the new servers with
this card.

Our dealer informed us that there is a new version of the SMC Etherpower
10/100 requiring new NT drivers. He had NT preinstalled on the machines,
so he could test them. We formated the disks and installed 2.1.5 Release.
The generic kernel on the bootdisk recognized the card, but after
initializing the linkstate led on the card went off. It was not possible
to use it.

After putting the complete (and about 24h old) /usr/src and /usr/obj from
2.1.5-stable on a tape, installing it on the new machine and installing
the latest stable-kernel, I did a reboot. This time, the linkstate-led is
on, but I received "de0: transmission timeout" messages. After
successfully locating an "old" SMC card in an unused PC I installed it in
the new machine. It works flawlessly.

It seems that the new version isn't fully compatible to the old one. Is
there a patch available?

The markings I found are:

"old" SMC Etherpower 10/100: 60 600518-002 REV A 1994 9332 DST
Digital 21140-AB DC1010CA

"new"                      : 60 600542-000 REV A 1996 9332 BDT
Digital 21140-AC DC1036DA

The new board is much smaller, has less chips and no 9-pin sub-D port.

Martin

| Martin Jangowski              E-Mail: maja@birdland.rhein-neckar.de |
| Voice: +49 621/53 95 06                       Fax: +49 621/53 95 07 |
| Snail Mail: Koenigsbacher Str. 16      D-67067 Ludwigshafen Germany |
| RNInet e.V.                                   Rhein-Neckar Internet |