Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2000 17:00:45 +0800 (+0800)
From:      Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>
To:        glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au, robinson@netrinsics.com
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux JDK on FreeBSD

Greg Lewis writes:
>I believe that Sun have released the HotSpot code under the SCSL, as they
>did the JDK 1.2.2, so it should be relatively easy to obtain access to it.

Let me quote:

 "Install a JIT

  The current port does not have a just in time compiler. It would be very
  hard to port this compiler, since the source code is not open under Sun's
  community source license. As a result, the default JIT is set to NONE. This
  will explain the dreadful performance you are seeing.

  It seems that the Blackdown team eventually got access to the source code
  of Sun's just in time compiler under a special license. It would be very,
  very cool if the someone could get Sun to do the same for us. We need a
  brilliant idea how to get Sun to cooperate on this one."

That's from Kees Jan Koster's page on building the native FreeBSD JDK 1.2.2,
last modified Wednesday, 02-Aug-00 16:07:38 GMT.

  http://web.inter.nl.net/users/kjkoster/java/content/howto.html#hd03

So, my best information is that the FreeBSD team does not have an idea for
a plan for how to get access to the HotSpot code in JDK 1.3.

Of course, I may be misinformed.

>From my own
>point of view I feel I've much more to contribute to the FreeBSD project
>by working on the native JDK port than I do working on the Linux
>emulator (I don't even have access to a Linux box for starters).  I don't
>believe that this is currently a "head in the sand" attitude, I'm just
>making the choice to take the approach I think is right and see where
>it leads.

I understand and respect that.  I also appreciate the effort you have put into
the project.  However, I also understand that you are only one person, and
not even the "FreeBSD Project Lead for Java".  Hopefully others here appreciate
all the issues as well as you do.

	-Michael Robinson