Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 1997 22:27:08 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        abial@korin.warman.org.pl, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk built-in hw cache

>> > I just read certain discussion on Linux list concerning
>> > bad/missing/removed disk cache in "repaired" (and sold as new) hard disks.
>> > Linux prints during probing the size of disk cache (at least that what the
>> > hd will tell it). How to achieve the same result in FreeBSD? There is a
>> > #ifdef WDDEBUG flag in wd.c, around some interesting printfs. Will it give
>> > me this info?
>>
>> Uhh, this sounds pretty bogus.  Do you have a reference to anything
>> authoratative on the subject?
>
>No :-(. AFAIR from that discussion, IDE disks answer certain query by
>returning the info stored somwhere on cyl 0. How this info relates to

It would probably be stored in the drive's firmware except on ancient
drives.

wdp_buffersize (in wdreg.h) is documented in the old draft of the ATA
spec that I have (revision 4c).  It is the "Buffer size in 512 byte
increments (0000h=not specified)".  `Buffer' doesn't seem to be specified.

>The original story goes like this: those folks bought some disks, saw the
>"0 kB cache" during startup, went to the seller who checked the disk with
>his diagnostic proggy (it also said "0 kB cache"), and then he started

The Linux ide-disk driver just prints wdp_buffersize.  0 means unspecified
:-).  It probably doesn't mean much.

Bruce