Date:      Mon, 02 Sep 2002 15:02:36 -0700
From:      Thanatos <thanatos@vcnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATI Rage Mobility on Dell Latitude CPx J running FreeBSD 4.6.2 & XF86 4.2.0 - Success

Howdy All,

I was having a hard time getting X to work with my system in anything
other than 8 bit mode. I finally found a solution and wanted to share my
findings in hopes of helping others with the same problem. The solution
( for me anyways ) was to add the following line to the "Screen" section
of /etc/XF86Config

DefaultDepth 24

Here is what my config looks like:

Section "Device"
   ... other ATI config stuff, see the XF86 link below
   Identifier "Card0"
   Driver     "ati"
   VendorName "ATI"
   BoardName  "Mach 64 LM"
   ChipSet    "ati"
   ChipId     0x4c4d
   ChipRev    0x64
   BusID      "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "Screen0"
   Device     "Card0"
   Monitor    "Monitor0"
   DefaultDepth 24 ### this is what fixed things
   SubSection "Display"
     Depth    1
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
     Depth    4
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
     Depth    8
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
     Depth    15
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
     Depth    16
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
     Depth    24
   EndSubSection
EndSection

For reference, here info for XF86 4.2.0 (
http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/index.html )

Hope this info helps :-),
Thanatos