Date:      Mon, 20 May 1996 22:28:53 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        michaelv@HeadCandy.com (Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help building kernel

As Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:

> Help!  I'm trying to build a kernel on 2.1.0-Release, and I can't get
> it to work.  Every time it goes to link I get these two errors:
>
> init_main.o: Undefined symbol `_dummyinit' referenced
> kern_xxx.o: Undefined symbol `_dummy_cleanup' referenced

Interesting.  Both are defined just one line before they are used.
Are you sure you're using the stock 2.1 `ld'?

Try declaring them as non-static, and see if the linker will find
them.

(Terry has been posting a 25-page :) article about the technology of
the used linker sets recently.  You should be able to find it by this
keyword using the WWW interface to the mailing list archives.)

--
cheers, J"org