Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2012 23:16:04 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        mbsd <mbsd@isgroup.com.ua>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to clean up /

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 8:46 PM, Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au> wr=
ote:

> On 30/11/2012, at 12:14, mbsd <mbsd@isgroup.com.ua> wrote:
>> =CE=9E ~ =E2=86=92 du -sh /boot/kernel
>> 59M   kernel
>>
>> Try to recompile your kernel without debug.
>
> Or delete /boot/kernel/*.symbols.
>
> It would be Really Nice (tm) if they could be put into /usr instead since=
 there is virtually no benefit to them being in / (since they are only used=
 for debugging).

I have long wondered why the kernel debug symbols were moved into
/kernel. The only thing I can come up with was the desire to retain
symbols for kernel.old, which the old system deleted. I'm not sure,
but I think the change was made when the symbols files were added for
all of the modules. I'd meed to dig back in the archived to track down
the change.

In any case, it's hardly difficult to come up with a scheme for
keeping symbols for the current and old kernels and modules in /var or
/usr and keep / from exceeding a gig on an amd64 system. (No, it's not
there today, but it's disturbingly close.).

Moving the Linux emulation shadow root out of root would also help.
--=20
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com