Date:      Wed, 3 May 2000 14:56:59 -0600
From:      Matt Meola <mmeola@uswest.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPS heads up

On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 02:52:01PM -0600, Nate Williams wrote:
> > I don't know why they even continued to use SA after they released
> > Differential GPS, which is good to 5 meters and less.  It sort of got
> > around the signal degredation.  But, for the folks who didn't want to
> > sink $500 into a DGPS unit, this news is great.  It is sort of
> > surprising since it is 6 years earlier than planned.
>
> Because in order to use DGPS, you must be near a DGPS transmitter, which
> for most of the US (anywhere but the two coasts) is not a feasible
> option.

http://www.tapr.org/

Tucson Amateur packet Radio group.  They've got a kit DGPS transceiver
which you can place in a known location to effect DGPS; set it up at your
house, and anyone near enough can get enhanced GPS positioning.

Not that it's all that useful, now...

--
Matt Meola             KC0DXW             http://www.qsl.net/kc0dxw
Bailey, CO             ARES D6 AEC