Date:      Tue, 03 Sep 1996 12:22:34 +0900
From:      Hanai Hiroyuki <hanai@astec.co.jp>
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org, core@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Warning: SGML doc changes

Hi, I'm Hiroyuki Hanai and I'm new in these mailing lists.
I'm working on the translation of FreeBSD documents into Japnese.

> instant: A new tool for manipulating SGML document instances.
> 	This is the core of the new doc conversion and useful for
> 	a variety of tasks dealing with SGML documents.  The tool
> 	originally came from OSF but is only supported in an
> 	ad-hoc fashion.  It carries a BSD compatible license.
> 	This version has been customized and enhanced by myself.
> 	Uncompressed source is about 280k.
>
> sgmlsasp and rast: Instant makes the former useless and rast was
> 	never (as far as I know used), therefore these will be
> 	*removed*. Uncompressed source is about 32K

I've not been heard about `instant' and I'm wondering whether it can
handle Japanese character or not.
So, I want to use your new tools on our Japanese documents.

> Docbook: Ultimately the FAQ, handbook and future documentation
> 	will use this DTD which is well supported and widely used
> 	in the software industry.  However, the conversion to
> 	[nt]roff and HTML is not yet ready for prime-time.  The
> 	question: should it be brought in now so people can start
> 	tinkering with it, or should it be kept out until a later
> 	date?

Yah, I'm with you. I don't want to use linuxdoc and I think it's fine
to use one of widely used DTDs.
But, Docbook seems a little bit complicated for me. It is almost caos ;-)
Is there any possiblity to define our DTD as a subset of Docbook?

Anyway, I wanna try to use your new tools. Is it available for me?

-----H.Hanai