Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2000 08:32:46 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: negative proccnt

In message <14786.15634.470822.561497@onceler.kciLink.com>, Vivek Khera
writes:

> >> the list manager.  With every other list manager,  I had to do lots of
> >> work manually to clean out bogus addresses and such.
>
> RTD> Then look at listar.  It is new to the ports tree, but has been around f
> or
> RTD> quite some time.  Originally built as a replacement for majordomo, has
> RTD> quite a few of the features and configurability of L-Soft's
>
> It is not worth the trouble to switch again....  Listar botched one
> large distribution for me about 1.5 years ago, and that's when I
> plunked down the $4500 for the unlimited version of Lyris.  I've saved
> more than that in my own time since then.
>
> The native FreeBSD version is allegedly coming out in the next couple
> of weeks, so that should solve my zombie problem, and I'll be happier.

One can solve zombies in canned software by using a binary editor like
emacs to replace the external symbol for fork() with _frk(), then
create a _frk() function that will fork() and issue a signal() to trap
all SIGCHLD prior to the first fork it issues.  When catching a
SIGCHLD, just issue wait().  Then load the module using LD_PRELOAD
prior to executing the desired application.

It's a kludge that can suffice until a more permanent solution can be
issued a vendor.  Of course it's best to discuss this with the vendor
first.  I've yet to have a vendor prohibit me from doing this while
they're working on a patch.  In one case the vendor actually wanted the
code.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC