Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2000 11:20:57 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
To:        blk@skynet.be (Brad Knowles)
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: load spike strangeness

> At 6:45 AM -0600 2000/1/10, Joe Greco wrote:
> >  We have a new existential proof, "I'm archived, therefore I am"!  :-)
>
> 	Absolutely!  I just may not be the person I'm claiming that I am,
> although I believe that we have reasonably strong evidence that I am
> the same person I've been claiming to be for ten to fifteen years
> (I'm not sure how far back some of the reasonably reliable archives
> go), and that in that time I haven't switched either humans or
> claimed personas.  ;-)

And your proof of this is... your word?

> >  Seriously, Brad, I'm not convinced that you're anything more than a
> >  complex PERL program until I meet you in person.
>
> 	Pictures won't suffice?  Attestations to my existence from some
> notable individuals who've actually met me in person won't suffice?

Your concept of "notable individuals" and mine probably differs
substantially.

> Or do they automatically get sucked into my hyper-real simulated
> universe at the time they meet me, and therefore they're now
> simulated constructs as well?  ;-)
>
> 	If the latter is the case, then you had better watch out during May....

You have no proof that I'm not a high-level simulation of artificial
forgetfulness and that you're not just a figment of my imagination (and
therefore prone to being forgotten).  In this event, I'll certainly be
here in May, but you might not.

> >                                                    Particularly since
> >  you seem to have more time and energy to spend posting to Usenet and
> >  mailing lists than anyone else I know.  ;-)
>
> 	Oh, I can name more than a few "individuals" who have a lot more
> time and energy on this subject than I do, and some of them seem to
> be almost as verbose as I am!  ;-)

Key word: "almost".

> 	Of course, this is totally off-topic for -current, so I'm moving
> it to -chat.

Of course.  If it hadn't been the first message I wrote this A.M., I'd
probably have done that myself.

Who are you, again?  ...   :-)

... Joe