Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2006 08:37:45 +0100
From:      Terry Lewis <terry@kryogenic.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PHP not picking up locales

Hi all,
I have a problem with PHP's setlocale where it cannot set a locale except
POSIX and C. Running locale -a lists all the available locales as normal and
I have even written a small C program which uses locale.h and nl_langinfo.h
and this succeeds without any problem. I have also wrote a small testlocale
php script which you can find at http://www.twmcc.co.uk/testlocale.php. As
you can see it fails on everything except POSIX and C. It seems like PHP is
not looking in the right place for the locales which is rather unusual. I
have consulted and followed exactly the FreeBSD related comments at
http://www.php.net/setlocale. I've also asked around in the usual PHP places
but nobody seems to know what is up.

Permissions on the locale directory all seem fine. PHP has been recently
installed which is version 5.1.2_1, also Running FreeBSD 6.1 and apache
1.3.34.

I should also note that  I run my own FreeBSD 6.1 RC1 server for development
and PHP setlocale works just fine on it which makes it all the more puzzling.
I've simply run out of ideas and was hoping someone could shed some light on
how to fix this problem.

Thanks for your time.
--
Regards,