Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 19:30:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        chris@aims.com.au, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, ken@kdm.org
Subject:   Re: Porting a SCSI driver from 2.2.x to 3.x

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Mike Smith wrote:

> > Howdy,
> > 	Thanks for the info. I'm looking at converting the DPT SmartRAID V driver
> > that Mark Salyzyn made available for FreeBSD 2.2.x. Mark informed me that
> > the conversion was on his list of things to do, but wouldn't be happening in
> > the short term.
> > 	Any gotchas that I should be aware of before allocating large amounts of
> > time to this?
>
> Yeah; Simon Shapiro is working on doing it properly.
>
> The DPT V is an I2O card.  Having it pretend to be a SCSI device is
> just about the most difficult way that you could think of to support
> it.  Except maybe if you tried to pretend it was an ISA joystick.

  Other than some messages on this list, it wouldn't even be possible to
determine that we had started the driver.  Some number of months ago there
was a message that the driver was close, but nothing has happened since.
If I had to guess, I'd say work on the driver has lapsed.  It would nice
if Simon could make his source available, so interested parties could pick
up the torch.

  I'm not aware of any Ultra2 RAID5 hardware solutions for FreeBSD.  All
the SCSI-SCSI stuff I've looked at (Mylex and CMD) are Ultra only.  So DPT
V support would be nice.  I'm also under the understanding that it would
support fibre channel too.

> --
> \\ Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. \\  Mike Smith
> \\ Tell him he should learn how to fish himself,  \\  msmith@freebsd.org
> \\ and he'll hate you for a lifetime.             \\  msmith@cdrom.com

Tom