Date:      Sun, 08 Nov 1998 11:38:17 -0800
From:      Mike Haertel <mike@ducky.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: argh^2

>> - The bit about not making the root disk bootable still isn't fixed yet.
>>   I had to boot off the floppy and fix it manually.
>
>Sorry, could you refresh my memory - you're saying we need to set a
>partition active, or something?  I'm not sure what the problem is
>here.

After doing the sysinstall thing, it wouldn't boot off the hard disk;
I had to boot off the floppy and do:

	disklabel -B -b /usr/mdec/boot1 /dev/rda0

That was the only step that sysinstall was missing.

My guess is that, if you are testing sysinstall on your own machine,
you probably already have the correct boot block on the disk and
so not noticing the failure of the install process to set it up.
You might want to try: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rda0 bs=1m count=1
to wipe the disk between install attempts.  On x86 I keep a standalone
boot floppy with an MFS root handy for just this operation.

>Also, just curious: Is the kern.flp working correctly now in that it
>prompts for and correctly loads the mfsroot, then boots?  If not, I
>still need to beat on the load script.
>
>> - To my surprise, the sysinstall partitioning phase did not find the
>>   old NetBSD partitions on the disk.  The reason I find this surprising
>
>Didn't they just change to 0xA9 or something?  FreeBSD's view of the
>disk is determined solely by libdisk, so if it's out of sync with the
>kernel's own partition search order, that's something to look into.

Um, I'm not even sure if NetBSD/alpha uses PC style partitioning at all,
or just writes a BSD disk label.  I'd assume it just writes a BSD disk
label, so the 0xA9 stuff you mentioned would be irrelevant.  The disk
is wiped now, so there is no easy way to go back and see what NetBSD was
doing with it.

In any case, it is definitely true that the FreeBSD kernel's view of
the disk is different from libdisk's.  Witness the fact that the FreeBSD
kernel, when booted off the floppy, found and used the NetBSD root
file system and was able to run in single user mode, but sysinstall
didn't see those partitions at all.

>Hmmm.  This should still be fixed, but even once it is we can perhaps
>stick with the same color scheme just to differentiate the alpha
>install? :-)

But red?  Ugh.  How about a nice cyan or something? :-)