Date:      Tue, 11 May 2004 11:37:28 -0500
From:      "Steven N. Fettig" <freebsd@stevenfettig.com>
To:        Bryan Cassidy <b_cassidy@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OpenBSD/ (maybe FreeBSD) Firewall/Router/DNS

Bryan Cassidy wrote:

>Sounds good to me but I'm still confused about how I need to set this up hardware wise. The link at freebsddiary sounds good to start with I guess. I don't know if I need any extra hardware either. I have at the moment 2 NICs and 2 crossover cables. Do I need more? Do I keep the NIC in this machine or do I move it to the machine that will be acting as a firewall/router/gateway? How do I set this up? Still confused on this part.

Another recommendation (although slightly outdated) is :
http://mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/ (take a look at the dual-homed
system howto).

You ideally need 2 NIC's in your NEC machine that you want to use as a
gateway/router/firewall.*  Then, assuming that you want to connect to
the internet on another computer, you need a NIC in that machine.  If
you have more than one computer besides the NEC, then you need NIC's for
those machines and a hub in between.

Take a look at the HARDWARE text for whatever version of FreeBSD you are
installing to make sure it supports your NIC's.  If you load the system
and find that the NIC's aren't supported, you will have wasted a bit of
time...  (I'd be surprised, though, if you have a NIC that isn't
supported... never met one myself.)

So, the diagram looks a bit like this:

xDSL/Cable Modem <-- cable/crossover cable --> NIC1 | NEC | NIC2 <--
cable/crossover cable --> *inside* computer

where the NEC is the machine doing the NAT/Firewalling and Routing.  The
xDSL/Cable Modem simply gives you your connection to the net.  As far as
configuring the NEC, you need to spend some time to understand what NAT
is and what you want to be able to do with your *inside* computers.
Most of the ipfw howto's have pretty good rulesets to work with, so you
don't have to worry so much about that issue - but you should eventually
take time to really understand what your firewall is actually doing.

hth,
Steve Fettig

* I say *ideally* because you *can* do it with one NIC - but that really
defeats the purpose of setting that machine up as your
gateway/router/firewall due to the ability for someone to spoof an
address from the internal network.

>On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 12:26:59AM -0500, Micheal Patterson wrote:

<snip>