Date:      Sun, 6 Jan 2002 23:34:15 GMT
From:      Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org, audit@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make(1) enhancement - an 'environment processor' option

> From: Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
> Date: Sun 6 Jan, 2002
> Subject: Re: make(1) enhancement - an 'environment processor' option

> > It looks like it should be easy enough to provide this functionality in
> > the build system (e.g. bsd.port.mk).
>
> But would it really?  I had this idea initially, before I wrote penv(1)
> as a standalone preprocessor, and believe me, I tried - but it quickly
> got ugly, when things came to trusting or checking the output of a program
> to determine which variables should be unset and which ones should be set,
> including setting variables to values containing whitespace :)

Why the complexity?  Why the need to run an external program to read the
values of these variables?

I'm not familiar with penv(1), but from a perusal it seems that it manages
some set of simple variable assignments under /var/db, in some horrendous
file-per-variable format(?).  Why aren't these just stored in a file in
make(1) compatible format?

Fix that, and just have bsd.port.mk include /var/db/penv/${PORTNAME} if it
exists.

> > Can you suggest any other uses for this feature besides supporting penv(1)?
>
> Not for the moment, no; but supporting penv(1) is nice,

Touching a fundamental, universal utility to specifically support an
application for which it's used 0.001% of the time isn't very nice...

> > make(1) already contains too many hacks for the FreeBSD build system.
>
> This particular change should be easy to add to GNU make, too; this is
> on my to-do list for the next couple of days.

I'd be quite interested to see how willing the GNU Make maintainers are
to adopt this.

		Cheers,

		Mark.

--
Mark Valentine, Thuvia Labs <mark@thuvia.co.uk>       <http://www.thuvia.co.uk>;
"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."       Mark Valentine uses