Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 2006 22:28:12 -0500
From:      "Matt Emmerton" <matt@compar.com>
To:        "Matt Emmerton" <matt@compar.com>, <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 6.0-REL problems with ISA ed0 and ancient hardware [ updated ]

> On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 04:39:19PM -0500, Matt Emmerton wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 11:28:45AM -0500, Matt Emmerton wrote:
> > > [ Asked on -questions on Friday; re-asking now on -stable without
> > > cross-post]
> > >
> > > I recently upgraded a 4.11-REL machine to 6.0-REL and have run into
some
> > > snags.  While the installation from CD went fine, after configuring
and
> > > enabling my ed0 NIC, bad things start to happen.
> > >
> > > FWIW, this machine is an ancient (hardware circa 1991, BIOS circa
1994)
> > > dual-Pentium 133 MHz machine, with EISA/PCI and onboard SCSI.
> > >
> > > So far I can reliably reproduce two panics, one appears to be a ed
> driver
> > > bug (based on reports of similar panics with different NICs, notably
> nge)
> > > and one is a filesystem corruption problem.
> > >
> > > Here's the process that I go through to reliably reproduce both
> problems.
> > > 1) Boot machine in multi-user mode
> > > 2) After ifconfig ed0, machine panics with a trap 12 in ithread_loop.
> > > 3) In debugger, reset (or panic to get vmcore)
>
> The panic doesn't happen during the ifconfig -- it happens shortly after
> "hostname" is run.
>
> The details of this panic are in the attached typescript output.
>
> From what I can see, it looks like the stack is smashed hence ih is bogus,
> so we fail on the deref.

I tried booting the box with no ethernet cable attached, and it was able to
come up to a login prompt successfully.
Attempting any kind of network operation (ping, traceroute, etc) failed (of
course) but no panics were observed.

However, as soon as connecting an ethernet cable, the machine would promptly
panic as previously reported.

--
Matt Emmerton