Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 06:05:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@hamby1.lightside.net>
To:        jehamby@lightside.com, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java Workshop runs on FreeBSD!

> Jake Hamby stands accused of saying:
> >
> > Last night I made a quick attempt to run SunSoft's Java Workshop under
> > the Linux JDK under FreeBSD-current.  To my surprise, after hacking up
>
> You're aware that the JDK has been ported to FreeBSD quite some time
> back?
>
> Search the archives for 'JDK' 'Green threads' and 'Jeffrey Hsu'.
>
> > ---Jake
>
> --
> ]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au    [[

Yes, I do remember that.  However, according to the post, the port is kind of
flaky, it doesn't run appletviewer, although it is robust to recompile itself
correctly it is probably not worth trying Java Workshop under.  When a new
version is released that is complete enough to run appletviewer, or if the
current version is stable enough to try to bootstrap a better version (perhaps
using FreeBSD/ELF ?) then I will definitely try that as a base for JWS.  Thanks
for correcting me, though.

---Jake