Date:      Sat, 3 Apr 2021 10:35:51 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Andrew Mitchell <andrew_mitchell_fr@icloud.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is running cross-build on usb drive possible?

On 2021-Apr-3, at 07:37, Andrew Mitchell via freebsd-arm =
<freebsd-arm@freebsd.org> wrote:

> I am trying to cross-build i386 src to my arm64. Everything seems ok, =
buildworld is in good progress.=20
> I used: make TARGET_ARCH=3Darm64 buildworld.
>=20
> Next step, I'll make install. But I want this cross-built source tree =
on a USB drive.=20
> I'll try: make DESTDIR=3D/mnt/usb/i386 installworld
>=20
> But one question remains:
> Should I specify TARGET=3Darm64 with make install?
>=20
> Any clue?

Normally one does not examine the whole build infrastructure
to determine if a specific item might not be used at some
stage for a specific target. Instead one just supplies the
items for each make command. So, more like:

make DESTDIR=3D/mnt/usb/i386 TARGET_ARCH=3Darm64 installworld

I'll note that naming conventions look odd in the above:
Why would /mnt/usb/i386 be the name of a directory that
will contain files for arm64 instead of for i386? The naming
looks likely to be misleading/confusing.

Less of an issue is /mnt/usb : Presuming "mount . . . /mnt"
was used, having a directory called usb inside the file
system mounted is unusual. It would be even more unusual
to have added a usb directory below /mnt and to have used
"mount . . . /mnt/usb". Creating /media/usb and using
"mount . . . /media/usb" would be more like what is
typical. Normally /mnt is an empty directory before (and
after) it is used as a mount point but /media is not
empty because it contains empty directories used as
mount points.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com