Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 14:23:45 -0400
From:      Kutulu <kutulu@kutulu.org>
To:        swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
Cc:        Mike Porter <mupi@mknet.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 127/8 continued

At 11:14 AM 09/27/2001 -0700, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:

>By definition, yes.  But do you mean "public" (Internet-routable)?  I'm
>fairly sure I was communicating with my DSL router when I had only 10.x
>address on the firewall. (Had to set 10.x.x.x as gateway the in the DSL
>router's route to my firewall.)

In order for the machines on your network to communicate with the outside
world, they will either need public, routable IP addresses (all of them,
not just your firewall), or you will need to run NAT somewhere.  If your
firewall has a private IP of 10.0.0.2, for example, even if it routes
traffic correctly to the DSL router, once that packet hits the public
internet there's no way to know how to get back to your 10.0.0.2.

> > [ suggestion of 1-to-1 NAT ]
> > Since no two machines will ever share the same IP under
> > this scheme, it will work fine, while hiding your intenal network
> structure
> > from "the world".
>
>I read about that in my firewalling book, but I just don't get it, even
>ignoring the problem with not translating IP addresses within the
>packets.  How does translating IP addresses help with security, as long
>as the translation is transparent?

The benefit is not really security here.  The benefit is, you can have
machines on the same logical subnet on different physical segments.  Since
the only place the real local IP's of those machines is known is  the
firewall, all data heading to both your DMZ server and your firewalled
workstation will appear to the outside world to be on the same subnet.  As
your firewall receives the packets and translates them, they end up being
on different internal segments (10.0.0.0 vs 10.0.1.0, for example), and get
routed correctly.

This is actually what NAT was originally designed for.  It allowed people
with a limited number of IP's (ie, one from their dial up provider) to
handle traffic for multiple separate machines).  The security aspects are
really just a nice side effect.

>As a reminder, my original post wasn't asking how I can set up my
>network.  I was bitching about what I consider a high-level design
>deficiency in the OS (and all OSes, I suppose) software which makes it

The deficiency here is really in IP itself.  The IP protocol was built
around the assumption that IP networks would be physically segmented in the
same basic structure as they were logically segmented.  Each separate IP
subnet is assumed to be a separate physical network segment, and thus, all
machines on that IP subnet should be directly reachable through the
attached interface.  And this is still the case the vast majority of the
time.  For those times when it is not the case, there are static routing
kludges, and NAT, to take case of it.

--K