Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 2006 12:36:12 +0000
From:      Dieter <freebsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Cc:        gmarco@giovannelli.it
Subject:   Re: make a pvr

> I'd like to made a personal video recorder and I am guessing which
> hardware may I buy for the video recording.
>
> I am not able to find the Hauppage 250/350 easily.

I believe the Hauppage 250/350 are analog only?
You are in Italy?  How much longer will Italy have analog
broadcasts?  Do you have digital broadcasts yet?

In the US, the analog broadcasts are supposed to go away soon,
so that the FCC can sell off some frequencies and give the
money to Halliburton or some such.

The only DTV card I have found with any sort of Unix driver
is the HD-3000.  There are drivers with source for Linux,
there was talk awhile back of doing a BSD driver, I don't
know if that has gotten anywhere?

The HD-3000 card is supposed to do pretty much any format,
digital or analog (NTSC, PAL, SECAM, ATSC, ...).  To record
a digital station you just dd the data from a device node,
nearly no CPU usage.

http://www.pchdtv.com/
http://www.hijmans.nl/cx88/datasheet.pdf