Date:      Mon, 5 Dec 2011 17:57:00 -0600
From:      Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
To:        Oleksandr Tymoshenko <gonzo@bluezbox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports cross-compilation

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 08:06:31PM -0800, Oleksandr Tymoshenko wrote:
> - Different sets of patches are required for cross-compilation and
>   native build (use PATCHFILES?)

Yes, probably PATCHFILES.

> - Create bare-bone version of bsd.port.mk called bsd.xdev.mk. It
>   should contain target called "xpackage" that would manage
>   dependencies, install port to ${BUILDROOT}, generate package-related
>   files and create a package. No package registration. We have a lot of
>   stuff in bsd.port.mk that could be reused -
>   fetch/checksum/dependencies. Writing them from scratch makes no sense.

Well, the problem would be keeping bsd.xdev.mk in sync with bsd.port.mk.
It would almost instantly go stale -- despite people's perceptions, a lot
of changes do go into it.

Fixing might be more tractable than you think, but probably only just a
little :-)

As observed earlier, pkgng will fix numerous sins in bsd.port.mk.

mcl