Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 1996 13:58:00 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@altona.hamburg.com (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        ulf@z-code.ncd.com, terry@lambert.org, gjennejohn@frt.dec.com, bertus%mikom.csir.co.za@inet-gw-1.pa.dec.com, questions%freebsd.org@inet-gw-1.pa.dec.com
Subject:   Re: ISDN devices supported?

>From the keyboard of Terry Lambert:

> For reasonable connectivity (ie: online all the time, but not necessarily
> pounding out the packets all the time), ISDN is simply unusable.

Terry, this might be true in the US but not in Germany (or perhaps Europe).

An ISDN line costs here slightly more than 2 analog phone lines (will be
the same in this summer) and you are charged exactly the same rates as on
an analog telephone line. For an anlog line you are charged ~30.00 DM and
for an ISDN line ~65.00 DM (will go down to ~50.00 DM); a so called "unit"
costs 0.12 DM and gives you 1.5 Minutes time on peak hours and 4 Minutes
between 2 and 5 in the morning for local calls.

And yes, i'm online all the time (outbound ip packets just connect, inbound
packets will place a [not charged] "ring" to my side and i'll call back to
my provider).

Leased lines are so expensive, that there is no need to call for a quote.

For reasonable one-person/small-group municipal area connectivity in
Germany, ISDN is a very good choice. In case you want to be charged a flat
rate, there is a service called D64S available (giving you just a 64kbit
channel but open all the time), which costs between 2 endpoints in the
municipal area 400.00 ... 800.00 DM (depending <15km and >15km distance)
a month.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis           hm@altona.hamburg.com              Hamburg, Europe