Date:      Sat, 16 Nov 2002 17:59:05 -0800
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
To:        Peter Hoskin <peterh@ripewithdecay.com>
Cc:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>, Hununu <hununu@netcabo.pt>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD: Server or Desktop OS?

[redirecting to -chat due to charter alignment issues]

Peter Hoskin wrote:
> STABLE is still a development branch. The name is misleading. If I were
> you, I'd install & run release.

I've taken to using beta/alpha to describe -stable and -current.  It
seems to get the point across why -stable and -current aren't intended
for mainstream use and what it can and usually does take to play in
those parts of the tree.

Personally, I think the BSDs many other projects need to make use of the
more common alpha/beta terminology.  I'm not asking to rename whole
sections of CVS, the effort to useful work ratio is too low, but making
this distinction to people in conversation would help significantly.