Date:      Sat, 13 Nov 1999 12:50:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/14861: XFree86335 build fails (carriage return chars in "Wraphelp.c")

The following reply was made to PR ports/14861; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To: "Marinos J . Yannikos" <mjy@pobox.com>
Cc: <freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 14:45:09 -0600

 From: "Marinos J . Yannikos" <mjy@pobox.com>
 > On Sat, Nov 13, 1999 at 10:48:42AM -0600, Scot W. Hetzel wrote:
 > > I fetched the US version, and the International version
 (psych.psy.uq.oz.au,
 > > ftp://ftp.internat.freebsd.org, ftp3.za.freebsd.org) of Wraphelp.c and
 did
 > > not see any carriage return chars in the files.
 > >
 > > Where did you obtain your copy of Wraphelp.c from?
 >
 > First, this is how /usr/ports/distfiles/xc looks:
 > -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel     17409 May  4  1993 Wraphelp.c
 > -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  17161723 Aug 31 12:32 X335src-1.tgz
 > -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  14834754 Aug 26 10:48 X335src-2.tgz
 >
 > This Wraphelp.c definitely contains carriage return characters.

 The correct sizes of the Wraphelp.c files shown below:

 /usr/ports/distfiles/xc
 -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel     16947 Nov 13 10:50 Wraphelp.c
 -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel      8347 Nov 13 10:50 Wraphelp.c.usa

 > I can't tell where it comes from originally, as the fetch cmd may
 > have chosen a different site than the default because of temporary
 > network problems, but it was one of the places you looked at.
 >
 > So, the problem seems to have been that "fetch" in combination with
 > the proxies screwed up the transfer, it must have used ASCII transfer
 > mode which added carriage return characters (for whatever reason).
 > I can reproduce this while using a HTTP_PROXY (CERN httpd and several
 > Squids before that), but it works fine with passive mode FTP. As wget
 > gets it wrong too using the proxies (even skipping my own proxy, i.e.
 > just with the Squids), it has nothing to do with FreeBSD, so I'm sorry
 > for wasting your time (if I had known where Wraphelp.c came from, I
 > wouldn't have missed this, but I had assumed that it was part of the
 > standard XFree distribution).
 >
 > I still don't know why the ASCII transfers fails though...

 If you have control of the proxy servers, you may want to check the proxys
 sources & documents on how to disable the LF -> LF+CR conversions.

 Scot

 PS. I sent this back to the PR system so that this PR can be closed by a
 ports commiter.