Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 19:22:03 -0400
From:      Robert Withrow <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        Robert Withrow <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>, Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some new ports broken on 4.0REL

nbm@mithrandr.moria.org said:
:- He means: "Did you cvsup ports-base?"

Answer: no.

Question:  Where does it say that cvsup is the only "authorized" way to
use the ports collection.
Answer: No where.

Please, all of you, go and read *your* web page.  I specifically direct your
attention to this passage:

  "These are FreeBSD packages; please use pkg_add to install them.
  That should enable you to use all the ports listed here."

That words "should enable you to use all the ports listed here" seems like
pretty plain English, doesn't it?

If these instructions are incorrect or out-of-date, please *CHANGE THEM*.
You'll excuse me, but it gets a little annoying to be chided by you folks
for following the directions *YOU* posted on *YOUR* web page!

P.S.:  I certainly *hope* it isn't the case that you *require* the use of
cvsup, since that is the *last* think I want to do.  In fact, since the typical
user probably uses at most a dozen of the ports, or so, I think any time spent
updating the thousands of unused and unwanted ports is an enormous waste of
time and resources.  By far, the largest portion of time spent installing a
new FreeBSD system, now, is the time spent unpacking the ports distribution.
More than half of the files used on the /usr filesystem are consumed by the
ports distribution.  That's nearly 40 *THOUSAND* files consumed by the
ports collection on my system!

Instead, I think the ports system should start off with just the infrastructure:
the INDEX, the Mk directory (and maybe the Templates directory) and individual
ports should be pulled from the distribution sites (or the cdrom) using something
like pib or portcheckout.  These tools should also provide a means for updating
the INDEX file and for updating individual ports.  Neither of these tools (and
no tools that I am aware of) do all of this.
--
Robert Withrow -- (+1 978 288 8256)
BWithrow@BayNetworks.com