Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 1995 06:12:36 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, peter@nmti.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gritching about XFree86 and serial port naming

>> >Why, oh why, is the CU device for "ttyd0" called "cuaa0" instead of "cuad0"?
>> >Or making it ttya0?

>> It was to give a unique name when the name is truncated to 2 characters
>> for printing by ps, etc.

>That I understand. What I don't understand is why you changed:
>		tty00 to ttyd0
>but:
>		cua00 to cuaa0
>???

>What's wrong with "ttya0" or "cuad0"?

"ttyd0" is not distinguishable from "cuad0" when truncated to 2 characters
for printing by ps, etc. :-)

>> When did they make sense?  They were never called sio* or ttys*.

>Under 386BSD they were.

386BSD had the `com' driver and devices named com[1-4] in some places and
com[0-3] in other places.

>> >For 2.1, can we go back to at least making the tty and cua devices have the
>> >same identifiers?

>> When did they have the same identifiers?  If you say that tty00 and cua00
>> have the same identifiers, then I'll say that `0' is not an identifier :-).

>Oh, don't be silly. You know what I mean. "00" and "00" for COM1 make sense.
>"d0" and "d0" make less sense, but still work. "d0" and "a0" are just plain
>weird.

No weirder than "tty" and "cua".  "00" for a tty is weird compared with
"p0" for a pty.

>> That would be bogus.  X works with the vanilla POSIX port ttyd0 and
>> always has.

>Fine. Then the XFree86 setup needs to use that instead of /dev/mouse.

So why doesn't it?  Perhaps because of confusion in previous versions
when there were ttyd0 (default) which was blown away by MAKEDEV'ing
cua0 (resulting in tty00 and cua00, where tty00 was identical with
ttyd0 (except in even older versions) but documented as different.
At first I wanted to nuke ttyd0, but I changed my mind after noticing
that /etc/ttys and a couple of other config files used ttyd0 but not
tty00.

Bruce