Date:      Thu, 20 May 2010 18:28:17 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        Brandon Gooch <jamesbrandongooch@gmail.com>
Cc:        Frank Bonnet <f.bonnet@esiee.fr>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: "real time" files mirroring ?

On 20 May 2010 16:53, Brandon Gooch <jamesbrandongooch@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 9:12 AM, Frank Bonnet <f.bonnet@esiee.fr> wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I'm searching for a software that could perform some kind of real time
>> mirroring between two (or more) freebsd servers.
>>
>> My meaning is to keep up to date some files ( flat and db maps ) used by
>> Postfix on our MX servers and propagate every change of one or more
>> files to all the others.
>
> Back in 2008, Ivan Voras wrote a rather simple daemon that fits this need:
>
> http://blogs.freebsdish.org/ivoras/2008/06/08/weekend-hack-adfsd-a-kqueue-assisted-rsync-tool/
>
> http://ivoras.sharanet.org/stuff/adfs.tgz
>
> I'm not sure about the status of the code (in regard to compiling and
> working with 8.x or HEAD), but it's worth a shot. I remember trying it
> out last year and it worked well for the small-ish project I had
> going.
>
> Ivan may have an informed comment or two to provide as well...

I am still interested in the subject and hope to one day find enough
free time to actually create something usable. Adfs was an experiment
and it showed that it couldn't be done the way I wanted it.

It was supposed to be rsync assisted by kqueue file events to detect
changes but, among other things, change detection isn't a very
demanding part of rsyncing files. In short, rsync in cron would do
much better.